Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mountain Man

CREEDE, CO -- Creede is a tiny mining town left over from the silver boom of the 19th and 20th centuries. It's a favorite vacation spot for hikers, anglers, and hunters in search of something quaint. It's Mayberry meets Northern Exposure. How remote is it? Scientifically speaking, the measure of a location's remoteness is calculated in terms of it's distance to the nearest Wal-Mart. 2.5 hours! I love it.

More than half of Colorado's 14'er peaks are in this area. The Rio Grande meanders through this valley I am staying in. I hiked 9 miles to near the headwaters today. Aside from stepping in elk poop and slipping on an iced-over log while trying to cross a tributary of the Rio Grande, it was a spectacular hike. I also hiked around the Continental Divide.

My lungs have finally acclimated to the altitude, but my travels today have exhausted me. It's a good exhaustion.

On the trail, I asked God what he wanted to talk about. Silence. I clumsily attempted to praise him as Creator and talk about the river and the mountains. I was so content in this element that all I could do was thank him for life.

I sensed a prompting -- "Tell me about your life."

Have you ever told someone your life's story? I apprehensively attempted to last year when some new friends inquired. My narrative to them lasted exactly eight minutes. Though I didn't mention it at the time, I was bored even as I told it. I guess I've never given much thought to the whole story.

So here God and I were with nothing better to do. I felt like he was asking me to begin with my birth. So I started talking. How strange it is to instruct someone on something they know better than you.

I hit the high points from every chapter in my life -- childhood (family), school (achievement), college (real spiritual growth), first job in Chicago (becoming a professional and learning to fake it), and Austin (well, I'll leave this parenthetical notation for another blog). I recited the events. He listened intently. And I felt as though he wanted me to explain my reactions to these chapters -- how they impacted me.

It was a holy morning. I saw my story from 30,000 feet (more precisely about 11,000 feet above sea level). Patterns emerged. New memories were jolted. Sense-making happened. I learned and unlearned. And I thanked God for his grace and discipline over these 34 years.

I talked for almost three hours -- talked and hiked and stepped in elk crap.

5 comments:

lizinaustintx said...

Dearest Heavenly Father, I can see the dust cloud falling from around Ted. I ask that you continue to show him your presence and love powerfully. Lord, he is trying so hard to suspend his mind and his agenda and I ask that you take those away from him and leave him with the bare essence of simply being with you, hanging out with you. Lord, show him how much you love him and allow him to ingest that fully.

Rick Shurtz said...

Just got a call from Deb. Three of your four are on their way over this evening. Deb's got the evening mapped out with making s'mores and watching a movie. The "Beasley Boys" will no doubt be ready to "Fight for their right...to paaaaaaarrrrrty.' You're in my prayers...considering I'll be with all five of ours together in the same room this evening, I may need your prayers tonight.

You were in my prayers on the drive to work this morning. I'm encouraged for you by your blog. Sounds rich.

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling.

I can see you there...enjoying the mountains...enjoying God...God enjoying you.

...still smiling.

Anonymous said...

About talking to God -- You said something like,"How odd to instruct someone in what they already know." Maybe the knowledge in question isn't what God knows. Maybe it is what you know. Can you tell him the whole story? In the telling what do you see/hear you've been hiding from yourself?

Michael D. Warden said...

Some questions that may help your exploration:

As you look at the overview of your journey so far, what is the story your life is telling?

Where are you now in the story?

What is the story you most want your life to tell?

What has to happen for you to tell THAT story?