Monday, May 7, 2007

Weak Signals Defined

Remember when car radios had dials? Sure, you had pre-sets with all of the stations you like, but sometimes you'd go wandering across the dial in search of some new or old or better or novel. You moved that thin red pointer across the FM band of static. Below the static, music might emerge. The signal was too weak for you to hear with full clarity. But somewhere out there -- if you drove a little further north or south or east or west -- that song was being hear loud and clear.

Weak signals are patterns of human behavior, phenomena in nature, or movements of the Spirit that are trying to happen. You sense them, but what they will fully mean is yet to become clear. If you are truly interested in experiencing this "new thing," you're either going to have to curiously fiddle with your dial or drive a particular direction.

Right now there are all kinds of weak signals happening in Christianity.
  • Rick Warren and Bono turning our attention towards Africa
  • Passion artists creating large, catalytic worship experiences
  • Prominent thinkers switching political allegiances
  • Multi-site video venues
  • Spiritual direction and theophostic prayer as an alternative to counseling

It's too soon to know if any one of these manifestations will lead to a paradigm change, or if they are merely a kind of blip on the radar. The only way we'll know is if we pursue understanding of them (or sit back and watch them run their course).

I am treating my sabbatical as a God-given opportunity to track down some weak signals in my life. Over the past months and years, I have begun to hear some "new songs" spiritually, but there is so much static from all of my activities that I haven't given myself completely to exploration.

In this blog, I'll name some weak signals I am hearing about my own life and document my attempts to find clarity. Undoubtedly, there will be many dead ends and lost signals, but I am more and more excited about what God will produce in the search. One thing you can count on -- I'm going to use this blog to honestly process what God is showing me. It may not be for the faint of heart.

I'm posting on the blog for two reasons:

1. As you read, I'm hoping God prompts you to pray.

2. As you ponder, I'm hoping God prompts you to comment.

I thought this would be a fun experiment -- a few dozen people with the freedom to interject, praying together about one person's journey over a fixed time period.

Please use this blog however you want to --

  • If you just want to read it to know how to pray for me, that's kosher
  • If you want post a quick thought, prayer, word of encouragement, or photo, that's cool
  • If you want to ask me a hard question or exhort me to track something down, I'm up for that.
  • Heck, you can even respond to one another

Obviously, my intention is not to devote my entire sabbatical to blogging. I may go days without posting. I may not be able to respond to everyone's thoughts.

Stop by every once in a while. I'll email all of you regularly a bullet point correspondence with high level prayer requests. You'll get the real story, though by showing up here.

I am so blessed to have all of you as travelling companions. Thanks for being on my team during this season.

8 comments:

bud the pieman said...

"To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly." Henri Bergson

"Change is created by those whose imaginations are bigger than their circumstances" Anonymous

"I live in the present. I only remember the past, and anticipate the future." *Henry David Thoreau

"Our real duty is always found running in the direction of our worthiest desires." Randolph S. Bourne (1886-1918

"The height of your accomplishments will equal the depth of your convictions." William F. Scolavino

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." Lao Tzu

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke


enough fo now.....bless, bud the pieman!!!!

To him said...

For you and this journey with God:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will always lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. There fore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. -Thomas Merton, monk of Gethsemene Abbey, Kentucky, d. 1969, from "Thoughts in Solitude"

For us while praying for your journey:

"There is a different kind of prayer without ceasing; it is longing. Whatever you may be doing, if you long for the day of everlasting rest, do not cease praying. If you do not wish to cease praying, then do not cease your longing. Your persistent longing is your persistent voice. When love grows cold, the heart grows silent. Burning love is the outcry of the heart! If you are filled with longing all the time, you will keep crying out, and if your love perseveres, your cry will be heard without fail."

Augustine

Michael D. Warden said...

More thoughts for the journey...

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." -- Marcel Proust

"Don't worry about what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive."----Howard Thurman----

"Change is not made without inconvenience, even from worse to better." -- Richard Hooker

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives." -- Braveheart

"Our nature makes us wish for rest, that is to say, an increase in being." -- Saint Augustine

"Belief and confusion are not mutually exclusive; I believe that belief gives you a direction in the confusion. But you don't see the full picture. Theat's the point. That's what faith is. You can't see it. It comes back to instinct. Faith is just up the street. Faith and instinct, you can't just rely on them. You have to beat them up. You have to pummel them to make sure they can withstand it, to make sure they can be trusted." -- Bono, of U2

"There are some dragons in my life I cannot slay on my own."--Ted Beasley

davidpatrickreed said...

I dare you to move!

Unknown said...

go get 'em tiger, glad to be along for the journey. love you.

Valinda Brock said...

We count it a privilege to pray for you and look forward to what God reveals both to you, Stephanie and all of us. The only way we truly grow is in transparent, vulnerable relationships. Thanks for letting us be a part of your journey. You and yours will be lifted up daily. We love you.

To him said...

Hi Delia!

I am still diggin' the new pump! Glad to see you here. Hope you are doing well.

RestingTed said...

I'm happy to take along Lao Tzu, Thomas Merton, Braveheart, Switchfoot, and Tony the Tiger on my journey.